With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
This is a fixed-term contract for a one-year, full-time position with benefits.
Reporting to the Senior Digital Content Manager, the Digital Writer/Editor performs brand-level writing, editing and publishing for the organization's digital brand channels, while also collaborating with the writing team to tailor content for both print and digital platforms. Working closely with the Content, Marketing, Membership and Development teams, this person will create content that will appeal to and engage our target audiences, reinforce brand attributes, and strengthen EDF's thought leadership and influence across the many sectors where we work.
Work with colleagues across the organization to surface the most important stories for our brand audiences.
- Craft engaging stories that are on brand and effective for multiple audiences and platforms (including blogs, webpages, interactive stories, social posts and print).
- In collaboration with digital strategists, devise engagement metrics to measure and optimize the performance of digital content.
- Synthesize page guides and creative briefs into content that will achieve the objectives of the piece, tailoring angle and tone to specific audiences and platforms.
- Ensure that all content is expertly written, researched and fact-checked; manage revisions per feedback from topic experts.
- Tighten and cut text, making sure every word earns its place.
- Evaluate and improve the flow of a page/piece/series.
- Work with the creative team to help develop accompanying visuals (graphics, photos, videos, and other interactive formats).
- Work with brand and creative teams on copy for advertising and promotions when needed.
- Ensure brand style, AP style, and voice and tone rules apply to all published content.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in online writing and editing, with at least 3 years in a marketing and/or fundraising-driven environment with clear business goals and objectives.
- Experience cultivating and supporting a specific brand voice.
- Familiarity with major online channels, digital storytelling and social media platforms.
- Must be able to translate stories appropriately for multiple platforms and audiences.
- Working understanding of audience personas; experience working with content strategists and user experience specialists.
- Proven experience transforming complex intellectual, scientific, or academic material into compelling content, and the ability to understand nuanced material.
- Experience selecting photos / helping to develop editorial graphics and infographics.
- Proficient at photo editing and compression to meet brand and technical guidelines.
- Proactive and independent, yet thrives working quickly, collaboratively and responsively.
- Ruthless about economical word use.
- Meticulous about accuracy and grammar.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience.
- Proficiency in HTML, including formatting text and using existing templates to create simple layouts; experience with Drupal or a similar content management system; and agency experience all welcome.
- Working knowledge of environmental issues a plus.
- NOTE: Finalist candidates will be asked to complete a trial content creation exercise, which will be a key component in the selection process
Location: New York, Boston, San Francisco or DC preferred, but all qualified candidates will be considered.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.