2020-2021 Student Writers - Lions Pride Media Group
Job Description SummaryThe Lions’ Pride Media Group will be filling the following positions:
- Staff Writers for Print & Digital
- Copy Editors for Print & Digital
- Designers and Artists for Print
- Photographers and Videographers
- Multimedia Writers/Creators/Designers (video, audio, slide shows, etc.)
- Digital Designers and Computer Programmers for online media
- Advertising and Fundraising Representatives
- Social Media Writers and Designers
- Possible positions once writing skills are proven: bloggers and podcasters.
Student journalists research and write stories for national, regional and local press. They report on campus news, politics, sports, arts and entertainment, science and business. They also cover national and local events, entertainment and human interest stories. Staff writers/content creators usually write stories allocated to them by the news desk. They pass these to their page editor, who in turn work with them to edit/proofread the written/created material before publication.
Occasionally, there is the need for an editor position to be filled, these are usually filled by students who have worked for The Lions’ Pride Media Group for at least one year. You may contact Dr. Kasper at [email protected] to inquire about these positions.
- Must be enrolled at Saint Leo University.
- Strong vocabulary, spelling and grammar skills, and a knowledge of writing. Otherwise, a willingness to learn these skills is needed.
- Strong organizational and time management skills needed to balance work with school.
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment. The ability to assist other teammates and work when necessary to accomplish the goals of a weekly newspaper.
- Good communication skills needed to communicate with those who are interviewed for the differing media needs of the differing media platforms.
- Must be dependable, self-motivated, and able to work under pressure, meet weekly deadlines, and possess good communication skills with team members.
- Knowledge of digital photography and downloading photos preferred, but not required.
- Ability to use (or willingness to learn) InDesign, Photoshop, and Microsoft Word. Adobe Premier Video Editing not required, but an added bonus.
- Cover campus news, breaking news, feature stories, general news, meetings, sports events, and more. These events can be at any time of day or night.
- Write weekly articles, take photos, shoot video, attend events, and other essential needs to complete assignments.
- Develop ideas for stories and questions, contact interviewees for interviews, and communicate effectively to obtain interviews and follow through with them.
- Attend weekly meetings, which are mandatory, unless class conflicts.