Foods You Need To Avoid If You Are Undergoing Diabetes Treatment - 4 minutes read
Diabetes can change your lifestyle completely. Once you get diagnosed with diabetes, it becomes a lifelong disease that you need to take care of. Whether through exercise, dieting, or diabetes treatment, you will need to constantly keep a check on it. What you are eating should be considered carefully. There are several foods that you need to stay away from or your diabetes will increase. Here is a list of food that you should strictly remove from your diet.
We know that carbohydrates are an important part of a person's diet. But unfortunately, if you are a diabetic, you need to stay away from carbohydrate-rich foods. At the very least it should be limited to a certain amount as prescribed by the doctor or dietician and always pair it with high protein or fat-rich food.
GI means glycaemic index which increases the blood glucose. This GI should be low if you are a diabetic. Most fruits have typically very low GI, except melons and pineapple. So, avoid eating these two fruits to prevent your blood glucose from going up.
Saturated And Trans Fats
These type of fats are very harmful to health in general. So, it should be avoided all the more if you have diabetes. Most fried and processed foods contain saturated and trans fats. It's best to either completely avoid them or limit them to a minimum.
This is the most important food that needs to be completely removed from your diet. Whether it's in homemade sweets, cakes, or biscuits, remove them completely from your diet. Refined sugar tends to affect diabetes in the most direct way.
Along with refined sugar, another thing to avoid is drinks containing a lot of sugar. Energy drinks, soft drinks, coffee, tea, fruit juice with additives, are all the drinks that can affect your insulin levels.
Salt is known to increase a person's blood pressure. Foods like junk foods tend to be high in salt. So, limit your daily intake of salt by eating only homemade foods. It is mostly recommended that one should not take more than 2300 milligrams of salt every day in their diet.
Lastly, alcohol should also be avoided by a diabetic person. If you are someone who is undergoing diabetes treatment regularly and taking insulin, then drinking alcohol can become life-threatening.
List Of Foods You Can Eat
While on one hand you are not allowed to eat the foods listed above, on the other hand, there are several foods that are essential for a diabetic. Take a look at what they are.
- Brown rice, millet, oatmeal are some examples of whole grains that you are allowed to eat.
- Baked sweet potato which is free of carb
- Foods that are made from whole grains without any sugar
- All kinds of green fresh vegetables are allowed; raw, lightly steamed, roasted or grilled. These include kale, spinach, etc. which are high in nutrients.
- Low sodium or unsalted canned vegetables
- Fresh fruit
- Plain frozen or canned fruits without added sugar
- Sugar-free or low-sugar jam or preserves
- No-sugar-added applesauce
- Vegetables that have proteins such as beans, nuts, seeds, or tofu
- Fish and seafood
- Chicken and other poultry, whichever you like the best.
- Eggs and low-fat dairy
- 1% or skim milk
- Low-fat yoghurt
- Low-fat cottage cheese
- Low-fat or non-fat sour cream
- Unflavoured water or flavoured sparkling water
- Unsweetened tea in which you can add a slice of lemon if you want.
- Light beer, small amounts of wine, or non-fruity mixed drinks
- Coffee, black or with added low-fat milk and sugar substitute
So, make sure that you avoid all these foods if you are a diabetic and follow the list given here if you want. Also, always get the best diabetes Remedy (Erratic Blood Sugar? Avoid This “Healthy” Green Veggie) from a very good clinic and they will help you figure out your diet.