What is the best type of bedding for guinea pigs? - 2 minutes read
The best type of bedding for guinea pigs is either fleece or paper-based.
- Fleece is a soft and absorbent material that is easy to clean and maintain. It is also good at odor control. However, fleece can be more expensive than other types of bedding and it may not be as comfortable for guinea pigs to burrow in.
- Paper-based bedding is also soft and absorbent, and it is generally less expensive than fleece. Paper-based bedding is also good at odor control. However, some paper-based beddings may contain dust, which can be harmful to guinea pigs' respiratory systems.
Here are some of the best bedding options for guinea pigs:
- Fleece bedding: This is a popular choice for guinea pigs because it is soft, absorbent, and easy to clean. You can buy fleece bedding specifically made for guinea pigs, or you can use old fleece blankets or towels.
- Paper-based bedding: This is another good option for guinea pigs. Paper-based bedding is typically made from recycled paper and it is often dust-free. Some popular brands of paper-based bedding for guinea pigs include Carefresh, Yesterday's News, and Aspen Natural.
- Aspen shavings: Aspen shavings are a safe and natural bedding option for guinea pigs. They are soft, absorbent, and odor-controlling. However, it is important to choose kiln-dried aspen shavings, as untreated aspen shavings can be harmful to guinea pigs' respiratory systems.
- Hemp bedding: Hemp bedding is a sustainable and hypoallergenic option for guinea pigs. It is soft, absorbent, and odor-controlling. Hemp bedding is also a good choice for guinea pigs with allergies.
Here are some beddings that you should avoid using for guinea pigs:
- Cedar and pine shavings: Cedar and pine shavings are not safe for guinea pigs. They contain volatile oils that can irritate guinea pigs' respiratory systems and cause liver damage.
- Straw: Straw is not a good bedding option for guinea pigs because it is not absorbent and it can harbor bacteria. Straw can also be a choking hazard for guinea pigs.
- Newspaper: Newspaper is a safe bedding option for guinea pigs, but it is not very absorbent. You will need to change the newspaper bedding more often than other types of bedding.
Ultimately, the best bedding for your guinea pig will depend on your individual preferences and budget. Consider your guinea pig's needs and choose a bedding that is soft, absorbent, odor-controlling, and safe.